Symphony NH was founded in 1923 by conductor and educator Elmer “Pop” Wilson and is now New Hampshire's oldest professional orchestra. Symphony NH was known as the Nashua Symphony Orchestra until 2012. Music Director and Principal Conductor Jonathan McPhee joined Symphony NH in 2008 and the orchestra has since soared to new artistic heights, presenting programs that feature a variety of music and appeal to the diverse tastes of New Hampshire audiences. In 2016 Symphony NH premiered McPhee's highly acclaimed The Essential RING, called "outstanding Wagner" by The Boston Globe.
Symphony NH performs orchestra concerts in Nashua, Concord, Lebanon, Peterborough, and Keene and additional towns across the state. Our education program, Picture This, has been performed for Nashua third grade students since 2009, and in 2016 was brought to students across the state.
Mission and Values
As a professional orchestra, our mission is to inspire and enlighten through exceptional live music.
We fulfill this mission by
- Collaborating with artistic, community, and educational partners across the state of New Hampshire;
- Welcoming all members of our communities to participate in our activities;
- Creating and adding value to arts education programs in schools and communities;
- Engaging patrons, sponsors, and donors to ensure our sustainability for generations to come.
- The importance of our contributions to the vibrancy of Nashua and the other New Hampshire and surrounding communities;
- The power of live music to engage all members of our communities;
- Shared live music experiences that strengthen community bonds;
- Our orchestra as a resource for music education for people of all ages;
- The arts as an economic generator for our communities.